Tuesday 24 September 2013

Canoe Practice

Today was the day we practised the canoe stroke technique, is that even what you call it? What ever.... The first task was to actually know where to go. I asked a lot of people from my class, and guessed who knew where we were going? No one. Not a soul. Parker and I asked our teacher and he gave us this weird explanation. Task two was to find Ronja. She was at the blue doors, just like she said she would be. But then we had to wait for what felt like the world (in reality it was about six people) to show up. We got our crowd and we started making our way to the river where we would meet the teacher. We guessed our way for a little bit, then we saw three familiar heads. Ethan, Matthias and Lennox. We fallowed them for the most part, then the veered to the left so they could pick up some food from McDonalds. In the end, we got to the meeting point with time to spare. 12:22. We had to be there by 12:35.

We get there and we are taught the strokes using our paddle. My group, who consisted of Parker, Robbie and I got in the canoe, and I called dibs on the middle. It was the easiest. Parker, who has experience canoeing did the steering and Robbie was in the front. We are on our way down the river, just fine. Then Parker makes a little jagged turn and Robbie could NOT handle it. He yelled, and shuffled around and stopped paddling. Which made the boat turn more, and for him to start yelling more. I couldn't stop laughing, to the point where I wasn't paddling, leaving Parker to do most or all of the work.
Then we switched, and Robbie was steering, and he was just fine, but he still found reasons to yell at Parker.

Then it was my turn to steer. That went over like a lead balloon. I couldn't do the "J" stroke, or the "C" Stroke. We were last to the meeting points both times, when before with Robbie and Parker we were first. I was and still am a little embarrassed. I finally kind of got it, the biggest issue was that I had the smallest paddle I could find and guess who wasn't paddling? Robbie. He had shoulder pains, which forced him to just drag his paddle in the water.

We get back to shore, I portage a canoe for the first time, and kind of, sort of was taught how to do a hitch knot? I forget the name.

Over all, I had a good day, it was a lot of fun, and I can't wait for the trip. We get taught more when we get to Algonquin. It is going to be AMAZING there.

Also, I am done varnishing my paddle, so I am that much more ready to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment