Tuesday 17 September 2013

My paddle

The caribou represents my childhood. Since I still believe I am a child at heart I feel this is very important to me. I chose the caribou since when I was younger my dad would tell the joke: 
Knock, knock.
Who is there?
Cara.
Cara who?
Not Cara-who! Caribou!
Also, the caribou is a huge part of Canadian culture. it made on the quarter! 
Also, the natives need the caribou to survive. They use all parts of the caribou. The meat, fur and antlers to survive. And I always wish that I am that way to the people in my life.  
I also left the imperfection of the wood, beside the bottom hoof print, since I love the imperfections in life. I think it adds character to the wood.
The footprints represent how I want to leave my footprint on others. I want people too take a piece of me, and I want to take a piece of others personalities, since that's how I believe we grow as people.
The colours represent my cottage. The sunset is the most warm feeling in the world when you see it from Lurgan Beach. These colours occur during the best part of the sunset, when the sun is gone, and all is left are these beautiful colours.
An other important thing about lake Huron, is that a long time ago, (six generations ago) I have a grandfather who was apart of the Huron tribe. I am so proud to be able to say that, even though it is a long time ago.
I also chose warm bright colours because I try to be a warm, happy person with people. 
I left the middle of the paddle bare since I wanted to keep it simple. I have always been a simple person, and I wanted that to show in my paddle. I don't like things that are too complex or that are too in your face. And by leaving the middle untouched I feel I accomplished it. Also, I wanted to keep some of the character of the wood to stay true. I never wear make up, so why should I cover my paddle with paint when I think it looks beautiful without it. 
And, ironically, this paddle was made with pine, which happens to be my favourite tree. Just a happy coincidence.
If you look on the the right side of the paddle, you will see two symbols that look like a backward J and a question mark without the dot on the bottom. That is my name in a native language, (hopefully!) and that is important to me since it is my name.

With the help of my grandma and my mom, I was able to do this wonderful paddle. I couldn't be more proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment